Friday, January 29, 2010

String it up

During our dining room decoranza, I created some quick and easy wall art on a dime. (See the two white horizontal pieces in this photo, on the back wall on the right.)



Here is what they look like up-close and personal.



My project was inspired when I was shopping at West Elm where I saw these sophisticated and modern framed art pieces highlighting basic art materials such as ink and string. When I saw them, I thought to myself, that's a perfect DIY project for the blank wall in the dining room!



I started off with two simple white frames, a variety of string, some paper shopping bags, double-sided tape, and super glue.





First I selected the backgrounds for my string art, cut the paper bags to fill the four 6x4" openings, and used the double-sided tape to tack the paper down.



Then I played around with the string until I came up with a design that I was happy with.



In order to keep the string in the shapes that I formed, I used tiny dots of super glue in a couple spots. This not only held the shapes, but also tacked the string down to the background paper.



It took less than a second for the super glue to dry so in no time, I popped them in the frames, hung them on the wall, and stepped back to admire my work.







I am really happy with the way they turned out and have received numerous compliments. If you're looking to hang some art in your home, but don't have the funds for what you see in stores, whip up a few of these, hang them in a row, and call them art. I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a question or just want to send a note? Leave it here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails