Thursday, September 9, 2010

Darwin Chair

I hope I'm not terribly late in the blogosphere to be posting about this chair, but when my aunt sent me a link to it a couple days ago, I felt it was my duty to share it with you all for two reasons: 1) because it is designed by Stefan Sagmeister (one of the most celebrated graphic designers); and 2) because it is too funky not to.


Every seven years Sagmeister closes up shop and takes a year-long sabbatical. He does this to allow himself the time to travel and explore creativity outside the graphic design world. As part of his most recent year-long sabbatical, he began exploring furniture design and created this soon-to-be designer collectible titled the Darwin Chair.


It essentially is a formed shape that has a pad of paper attached to the top. As each sheet wears down or as the owner grows bored with the design, he or she can tear off the top layer or flip it to reveal a new sheet.


According to designboom.com, each sheet's pattern abstracts the birthing of the universe, from the creation of the world, from the beginning of plant, animal, and human life, all the way to the digital revolution.

As far as whether I'm loving it or not, I'm on the fence at the moment. While I think it would be a great centerpiece or talking point in a space, I challenge (as many others have as well) its functionality. What do you think? Hit or miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a question or just want to send a note? Leave it here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails