Thursday, July 8, 2010

Undercover Box Spring

I didn't realize it until now, but I seem to be on a master bedroom re-decorating kick. The new bedding I bought not too long ago inspired the refreshed wall art hanging above the headboard, motivated today's post, and spirited another project I'm currently working on (stay tuned), not to mention several more ideas that I may try to tackle in the coming weeks. Nonetheless, today, I'm writing about our box spring, exciting eh?

I don't know about everybody else, but our box spring seems to be the tallest box spring ever. Now, don't get me wrong, it works great, providing support and stability, but I hate that it is visible above our bed frame. The second issue I have with it is that we have a king size mattress and the two twin box springs that reside under it are never lined up and to top it off, their quilted fabric cover reminds me of paper towels and worse, toilet paper.


So when I was making up our bed with its new duds, I couldn't help but to brainstorm how I could cover the little monsters.


Previously I had used a bed skirt, but I also hated it because it covered up our bed frame. I love the simple lines and wood tone of our bed, so away went the skirt. Then, while I was putting the sheets back on our bed, it hit me like a lightening bolt, a fitted sheet. The same as a skirt, but no dreadful overhang covering our wood frame and it would hold the two boxes together—eureka!


Thankfully, I didn't have to wait to try out my brilliant idea because I already had an extra fitted sheet in the same cream family as our other sheets (it was like it was meant to be).


After flipping our mattress on its side, I lined up the box springs and corralled them under the spare fitted sheet.


Then I flipped the mattress back on top, quickly made the bed, and voila, undercover box spring.



To the unaware (i.e. Justin's) eye, one would probably not notice the smooth lines of our single-looking box spring, but to me it makes all the difference.



The end result: no unaligned box springs peeking out and no frilly bed skirt covering the modern lines of our bed frame. Who else shares my sentiments towards box springs? Do you think they should be rightfully covered or left out to bare their quilted surfaces?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a question or just want to send a note? Leave it here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails