Monday, October 12, 2009

Cricut-ting edge

I got introduced to a very cool, new tool at the Craftin' Cabin a couple weeks ago that I have been dying to share with you. I'm sure most of you have heard of it, I had seen it during my occasional trips to Joann's, Hobby Lobby, and Michael's, but I didn't fully appreciate its power until I saw it in action at the cabin. The Cricut is a personal electronic cutter that gives scrappers and crafters alike the adjustable power to cut out nearly whatever they like for their projects and it's easy to use! First you attach the cartridge that has the font or symbol you want to cut out, select the letters/symbols, choose what size, stick the material-to-be-cut on the cutting mat, and then feed the mat into the Cricut.



The machine grabs hold and just like a deskjet printer, pulls the piece through and it comes out the back of the machine with your design all cut out! No more stencils, scissors, or punches needed! This little baby does it all in one swift slice.



You can cut nearly any thin material, from paper letters to decorate a scrapbook page to decorations for a homemade birthday card. What got me really excited, as everyone was scrapping and I was sewing curtains, is that it can cut through vinyl to be stuck to any smooth surface. Something similar to these Uppercase Living morning glory branches that I got for my master bathroom a year and a half ago.







Imagine my delight! By using the Cricut Design Studio in conjunction with the Cricut cutting machine, which by the way can cut as large as 12x24", you can design your own item to be cut out. So, while these branches are quite large, I imagine it could be done by piecing it together. Have you used your Cricut machine in an innovative way?

1 comment:

  1. I've seen these in JoAnn's as well and kinda wanted one! Maybe I'll have to look into it for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have a question or just want to send a note? Leave it here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails