Monday, February 8, 2010

Hawaii Part 1

As most of you know, Justin and I traveled to the beautiful state of Hawaii last month and I must say, it wasn't easy getting there. Unable to get a direct flight from Chicago to Kona, we flew from Chicago to Seattle, Seattle to Honolulu, and Honolulu to Kona. From the time we left our home to the time we arrived in Kona, we had been on the move for 23 hours--oi!


And now, after several requests and "I-checked-your-blog-for-pictures-from-your-Hawaii-trip-but-there-aren't-any-yet" comments, here are some photos from our FIRST day at Waikoloa Beach Resort on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Ok, well, this isn't Hawaii just yet. I'm one of those tourists on a flight sticking my camera up to the plane window taking arial shots from up above and this is one that I snagged of the mountains on our flight from Chicago to Seattle. It's so beautiful!


Once touching down in Kona, my mom picked us up from the airport and after breakfast, we were on our way to the resort. After settling in our room, we went down to the beach to soak up some much needed rays and rest our weary, traveling legs. Not too much later and Justin was already in the water.


While he was playing, I heard some kids nearby tell their moms that there was a sea turtle bathing in the sun up the beach a little bit. So, I went to check him out and snapped this dreamy shot.


Later that evening, we joined some of the other resort guests for an authentic lua'u including yummy tropical drinks, hawaiian food, live music, and hula dancing. Every single cocktail I consumed during our entire trip came with an orchid bloom and some sort of fruit. I love how the vibrant fuchsia pleasantly contrasts the cola-hued mai tai and cyan hurricane.


This isn't a great shot because the sun was setting right behind the stage, but I like how the dancer's silhouetted hands gently frame the sun



During the show, I was hoping that when they called audience participants on stage Justin would be summoned up, but I really didn't think it would happen...and then it did! Here he is trying to follow along with the male dancers. (I'm debating posting the video of him shakin' his tailfeather with the rest of the unwilling men. Do you want to see that?)


And just when he thought his 5 minutes of fame were up, he was commanded back to the stage to represent the "people" by accepting the warriors comrade leaf. When Justin sat back down in his seat next to me, he whispered, "here, it's so oily!"(The dancers were all slicked up to highlight their tans and toned muscles.)


The show really heated up when the Samoan male dancer came out with fire a'blazin.




By the time the show was over we were exhausted. But I couldn't leave until we got a photo with the pretty hula dancers to commemorate our night.


Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a question or just want to send a note? Leave it here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails