Thursday, August 4, 2011

Patch Wood Holes

First let me apologize for the horrible before and progress photos. This post has been in the making for a while but I had yet to take after photos until a few days ago so I'm finally getting around to finishing it.

Nearly two years ago I turned this TV bridge into a sideboard for our dining room. I removed the glass shelves and now use the cubbies to house wine racks and square storage baskets. However, the ghosts of shelves past left holes in the wood. The holes didn't bother me too much but I wanted to test my handy-woman skills by figuring out how to mask them without consulting Mr. Google. Fortunately I had an inkling it would be really similar to patching a small hole in a wall and I was right on the money.


First I gathered the tools I thought I would need. 1. Wood Filler. 2. Putty knife. 3. A sanding block. (4. Paint—not pictured.)


I used the putty knife to scrape some wood filler into and over each hole.


After allowing to dry, I sanded the heck outta that thing.


I repeated the filler/sand steps one more time until I was happy with the fill and smoothness of the holes.


To finish 'er off, I touched up the spots with the same white paint I used to repurpose the piece.


And restocked.


Now, no one's the wiser that there used to be shelves there, well, except for you of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a question or just want to send a note? Leave it here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails